Our network

News

Sheriff: Fleming 'admitted culpability' in stabbing of girlfriend after arrest

Sheriff: Fleming 'admitted culpability' in stabbing of girlfriend after arrest


A former Cal Fire battalion chief who eluded capture for more than two weeks was arrested Friday for the murder of his girlfriend.

Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones said at a news conference early Friday evening Orville "Moe" Fleming, "admitted culpability in the stabbing of Ms. (Sarah June) Douglas on May 1st." Fleming, 55, was interviewed by homicide detectives for a couple of hours about Douglas' death and where he had been hiding, Jones said.

Fleming was taken into custody earlier in the day only a few miles from where his Cal Fire pickup truck was found abandoned in an Elk Grove neighborhood, near Apricot Woods Way and Black Kite Drive, on May 1. Det. Brian Meux said Fleming had been living in heavy brush along a small canal near that location.

Sacramento finalizes agreement for Kings arena

Sacramento finalizes agreement for Kings arena


SACRAMENTO (AP) - The city of Sacramento has completed an agreement for a downtown arena for the NBA's Sacramento Kings.

The city released the 35-year lease agreement for public review on Friday night. The Sacramento City Council is scheduled to vote on the deal May 20, when it could end years of uncertainty surrounding the home of the Kings.

MORE: Review the term sheet at http://bit.ly/1uM19e2

The term sheet breaks down:

2 more selected from local NFL Draft crop

2 more selected from local NFL Draft crop


Northern California was a hot bed for talent in this weekend's NFL Draft.

Six local athletes were selected by NFL teams, two of them on Saturday, joining three others that went in the first round on Thursday.

Oklahoma wide receiver Jalen Saunders, born in Stockton, but now from Elk Grove, where he attended Pleasant Grove High School, was selected with the 104th overall selection by the New York Jets, in the fourth round.

Eric Pinkins of Sacramento, a defensive back who played at Inderkum high school in Natomas, was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the sixth round, No. 208 overall. He recorded 75 tackles last fall and is primed to play cornerback with the defending Super Bowl champions.

1 killed, 6 wounded in Natomas park shooting

1 killed, 6 wounded in Natomas park shooting


SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Police say a shooting at Peregrine Park in North Natomas has killed one person and wounded six others, including a child.

It happened just after 5 p.m. in the 3000 block of Guadalajara Way.

Neighbors say several families were at a birthday party for a one-year-old child. Police believe several suspects walked up to the party and opened fire.

"I just hate that someone would come up here and would shoot at a kid's party. That's horrible," said one concerned parent who did not want to be identified.

Among the several dozen people waiting for answers at the park was the mother-in-law of the man who was shot and killed.

That person, identified by police only as a man in his 20's, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Teen's lawyer: Crash was an accident, not road rage


SACRAMENTO – The lawyer for the teenage girl accused of deliberately mowing down a boy in a fit of road rage said it was all an accident.

Attorney Todd Leras offered a different account from what witnesses and California Highway Patrol have said. They say Isabelle Salgado purposely ran over the 13-year-old boy after he and another boy threw a bottle at her Mercedes SUV on Sunday.

"There's been an effort to smear her and try this case in the press," Leras said.

Leras said she wasn't chasing them out of road rage, but to find out who was throwing something at her vehicle.

"In an effort to find out who they were and where they were going, she did go after where they fled," Leras explained.

Witnesses claim the boy was yelling for her to stop after she started chasing him. Leras said that's wrong.

Road rage teen charged as adult for running over boy


SACRAMENTO - A teenage girl accused of deliberately running over boy in a fit of road rage will be considered an adult when she goes before a judge.

Witnesses say the girl became enraged after believing the boy threw a bottle or can at her Mercedes SUV as she drove through Arden Arcade this weekend.

Prosecutors have charged Isabelle Salgado with felony assault with a deadly weapon. Jail records show that Wednesday was her 18th birthday, but she was 17 at the time of the incident.

With that broken-down Mercedes sitting in the driveway on blocks, no one would answer the door at the Salgado home even as they asked us to leave.

Family friend Omar Andrade couldn't believe it when he heard reports that Salgado deliberately ran over the boy.